Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Rumble in Chinatown

A few weeks ago I joined a Sanda kickboxing gym.
Right down the hall from my school!
In an effort to widen my fighting skills and get some extra authentic Chinese experience, I've started classes at a gym. That's pretty much all i know. I don't know what the gym is called, I don't know the instructor's name, and i can't talk to any of my fellow students, because I can't speak or read Chinese!

My shir-foo (master) can speak a few key English words like "have a rest," "Bruce Lee," "very good," and "POWER!" but other than that it's a system built on a lot of demonstration and observation. It's a pretty cool way to learn; everyone is really nice and willing to help me out.
                                                                             





I don't have any previous striking experience but we've already started some light sparring and I'm really enjoying it! If you're unfamiliar with Sanda (which literally translates to "free fighting") check out this video. It's pretty much one of the scariest things I've ever seen; it mainly features people getting their heads kicked off. Hopefully with some more practice I'll be the one doing the kicking.

2 comments:

  1. You might have to teach us classes when you get back! Also, Ben won't stand a chance next time around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha yep that's the plan! finally it will be MY turn to punch him in the head...

    ReplyDelete

Don't censor yourself baby! Lay it on me.