Sunday, December 29, 2013

Saying Goodbye

Last week I said goodbye to this guy.
Phil on his last night in the fanciest hotel lobby in Jilin
That's Phil, and although he's the fourth teacher to leave my school since I started here, he's the first one that I worked with long enough to really get to know. The dynamic of a few English-speakers working together in a foreign city can create a pretty tight-knit group, and he was right in there. He extended his year-long contract with Kenneth's English, staying until just hours before spending Christmas with his family back in Canada. I'm really glad he stayed longer in Jilin, because over the last couple months we were able to spend more time having fun, and I appreciated that opportunity.

That being said, I'm starting to realize the tough aspects that accompany a job with so many temporary elements. Everyone signs a one year contract, which at first may seem kind of long. But with all these teachers coming and going, the discrepant, overlapping terms don't add up to very long. Not only that, I'm also beginning to wonder about what leaving my students after only a year would be like. Can I leave them after only teaching them for a year at most? Will I be ready to stop filling young minds with all my beautiful knowledge?

It's a lot to think about. But while I wrestle with that, I want to wish you all the best back in Canada with whatever you try next, Phil! Take care of yourself, God bless, it was nice working with you. So goodbye Phil..... still not completely sure what your last name was. Those temporary jobs will do that!

Oh and yes, part of this is just an experiment to see if he still reads my blog. All the best!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous... I have my doubts. I guess i'll never really know if that was Phil or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. come on bones don't be that way I swear it's me, Who else would respond in anonymous but a guy who holds as many secrets as i do, This was proven when playing circle of death. Anyways is this better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT ok i'm convinced! The references are very convincing. Thanks Phil

    ReplyDelete

Don't censor yourself baby! Lay it on me.