Friday, March 18, 2011

This baby’s third degree hot.


Last night I tried Smitty’s hottest wings, Third Degree.




   


 


 AND







Usually I’m more of a hot ranch, hot, sweet chili, electric honey, or lemon pepper wing kind of guy, but I decided to step it up to see how I’d do against a spicy challenge.

Now let me be clear, I can take a bit of spice. I’m not a Norwegian who finds a warm bun spicy, and a pizza bun unbearable. The Portuguese in me allows to me find the joy in dishes with the little pictures of red peppers beside them on the Chinese take out menus. Man this blog is getting cultured!

Ok so anyways I went up a few leagues to the hottest, and found that I was actually pretty comfortable with it! I mean yeah I got a basket of sweet chili as well to balance it out, but I was totally able to eat the Third Degree comfortably without freaking out. Although it was St. Patrick’s Day… so I sort stuck out, being the only one who wasn’t freaking out.

So my question is: where are the wings that make you gasp and fill your mouth with napkins because the water is only making things worse and your tonsils just lit on fire? Let me know if anyone has some advice on this, maybe my next new thing can be reconstructive oral surgery.

9 comments:

  1. "Where are the wings that make you gasp and fill your mouth with napkins because the water is only making things worse and your tonsils just lit on fire?"

    - May i suggest and lovely honey dill, or perhaps sweet garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a true story. im on break at work and im checking my facebook on my cell and i see your little blog ad on my news feed AND guess what i was eating at that moment. hot wings! oh the irony. irony? its late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza Hut. Pants down, the hottest wings ever. Okay granted I don't really have a high tolerance for spicy food, but their hottest wings are pretty much unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha but Alex I want the spice! No one likes reading about someone having a lovely time eating wings like this, they want to hear the pain! And no comments on my Norwegian comment? I think you may've skimmed this one...

    Mel- were you too busy enjoying your irony to notice my question? tell me about BP wings! are they super hot? Ha but i'm glad that coincidence worked out so well!

    Lorelei- Hmm your low tolerance comment makes me wonder, but I don't have much else to go on here- I'll have to try Pizza Hut wings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help you with the wings question, but I can tell you that I was once served a donair in Ottawa with so many warnings from the guy behind the counter about how spicy it was, that I was a bit insulted. Did I look like a wimp? I assured him smugly that I was fine with spice, thank you very much, and took my lunch to a table with my Mum. Shortly after we started eating, she asked what was wrong.

    "Wrong? Nothing, why?"

    "Well, why are you crying?"

    "I'm not..." I wiped at one eye with my hand to discover that I was, indeed, crying. And I couldn't even feel the tears on my cheeks, because much of my face was numb.

    After I finished my lunch (yessir!), I went back and thanked the guy for the great sandwich - I'm pretty sure he could tell from my puffy eyes that he was right about the spice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SEE! If Melanie's story has taught us anything it's that spice is not worth it. We were just not made to torture ourselves in this fashion. And yes, I totally got the Norwegian comment (you linked it to my blog...) However, I decided to take the high road on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOA snap Melanie that's intense! Numbness, facial swelling, uncontrolled tears? That sounds like the back of a medicine bottle... Alex is right, that amount can't be worth it. Oh my goodness that's just scary. But you finished it and thanked him... was that for pride, or did it actually taste good? Are you THAT fine with spice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, it was mostly to acknowledge that he had been right, it was too hot for me. I wanted him to see my puffy eyes, so he'd know the smug lady had gotten what was coming to her, ha.

    I thought it tasted good, but then I clearly wasn't tasting everything - my tastebuds were probably numb too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah ok understood. Well I know I couldn't handle that for sure. I'm not THAT Portuguese!

    ReplyDelete

Don't censor yourself baby! Lay it on me.