Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Can I get in here? I'm sort of like, a paid journalist!

Today I can cash my first journalism paycheque.
I’m inspired by every second banner ad on the internet that has someone showing off a big cheque, so today I decided it would be fun to show you all how much I made on my first paid journalism job. You know, really contrast the successful people online with details of my terrible income.


My first journalism job was for the U of M Bisons. I covered a men’s volleyball game at the Investors Group Athletic Centre for the university’s website, which included writing a game summary and notifying other news sources of the scores. For this little piece of freelance, you’re paid hourly. Or something. In any case you work until you’re done, then a few weeks later you get a little cheque. Aw how sweet!

Immediately after this experience I was quoted saying that journalism just seemed like being paid very little to go watch an event you couldn’t enjoy, and I stand by that. For example, midway through the game I finally noticed a friend in the audience across from me (because I had a special seat with the stats people of course). Who knows how long she was waving before I noticed, because I was so immersed in the action! It wasn’t a result of my playoff excitement, rather just me trying to be thorough with diligent note taking. And instead of thinking:

I was thinking: 

Now that’s just impolite.

I will admit it was a little bit cool calling those stations and papers, real household names like the Sun and CTV maybe. I felt like I was really breaking a big story for them, like I should be talking on a wind up phone wearing one of those old reporter hats sitting in front of my typewriter. “I’m gonna blow this story wide open, see? Manitoba Bisons won their game, see? Stop the presses, here are the scores, see?” Maybe I have a cigarette, if not I can live with it. You get the idea.

It was fun, except those guys answering the sports line at 10:30 on a Friday night aren’t really enjoying themselves, and it really shows in their phone conduct. CJOB unexpectedly just hung up on me for a minute, and then was annoyed when I asked if he was ready. It’s not like I’m on the air here fella, take a second out from your busy weekend of squinting through a dimly lit basement radio studio to give me the time of day!

So was all this worth it? 45 minutes driving to and from U of M, a 3 plus hour game, for $31.50 a month later? I honestly don’t know, and it probably says more about how desperate I am. Any comments Journalism majors?

Alright fine, I know you're dying to see it. Here's a link to over thirty dollars worth of words!

4 comments:

  1. personally, i would have enjoyed it, but I love sports and have a somewhat vested interest in CIS volleyball.
    31.50 for 4.5 hrs of work may not seem like its worth it, but any experience is valuable, and its better than volunteering to get experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cool that you're getting these opportunities to write, even if it's not really in your area of interest. Hey, if someone is offering to pay you for your work, that's a pretty good deal. But I definitely see what you're saying about the paycheck..you're kind of getting underpaid. Well, that's only based on what I normally get when I do freelance writing. But it's giving you experience and you gotta start somewhere, right? Your stuff is always a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Tim! And Brent I love sports too, but I found myself too into making sure I was writing the game to enjoy the game. But you put it perfectly- it's nice to get paid to get this journalism experience.

    L- i am interested in it, and i've written about a few events now, but it just turns anything into work! Moose game, bomber game, volleyball, tons of hockey games- got to get this story! Ha i gotta get real freelance. or stop writing. But thanks Lorelei!

    ReplyDelete

Don't censor yourself baby! Lay it on me.